Been to Florida, Lately? New Listeria Outbreak Includes One Coloradan, So Far
One person in Illinois has died from this latest outbreak coming out of Florida. Do you know the signs of a listeria infection?
The Centers for Disease Control notes that they have been investigating this outbreak since the end of January of 2022. Nearly all of the persons who've been connected to the outbreak have been hospitalized due to the infection which is the third leading cause of death due to a foodborne illness.
If you have friends or family who live in the Florida area, hopefully they've already been informed about this outbreak. The CDC has found that it did originate there, with those being sickened either having been Florida residents or having visited the state within 3-4 weeks of becoming sick. The CDC is still investigating where, exactly, it started.
What are Sources of Listeria?
The Food and Drug Administration notes that the most common sources are:
- Raw, unpasteurized milks and cheeses, ice cream.
- Raw or processed vegetables/fruits.
- Raw or undercooked poultry, sausages, hot dogs, deli meats.
- Raw or smoked fish and other seafood.
What are the Symptoms of a Listeria Infection?
According to the CDD, symptoms may include:
- Muscle aches
- Stiff neck.
- Loss of balance.
Who are at the Greatest Risk of Being Infected?
According to the CDC:
- Women that are pregnant (Pregnant Hispanic women are 24% more likely to be infected)
- Persons over the age of 65.
- Persons with a weakened immune system.
Keep on those in your family or circle of friends, especially if they've visited Florida, lately.